• Visit our Website

  • Follow “GetSmoke”

  • Blog Stats

    • 9,842 hits

Garmin Smoking Restaurant POI’s

Find them with ease!

As many of you are aware smokefreelyva provides POI (favorites) files for the Magellan brand GPS. We are now adding the same service for owners of Garmin GPS. We currently have a “rough” version ready for testing. If any of you brave Garmin owners would like to give it a whirl we could really use the feedback. Keep in mind this is a very useful tool but is not a substitute for the occasional visit to SmokefreelyVa.com. We update to website almost immediately when new restaurants are found. We update the POIs every two or three months.

Personally, I have been using this feature of my GPS for going on one year. I find it very useful and would not be without it.  The other good thing is that it’s free. (Not a bad price for something so handy).

Keep in mind that these file are not perfect. Sometimes the coordinates we get for some addresses are a little off. We correct this on subsequent versions as we find them.

If you are interested in this (bata) version then drop me an email list@smokefreelyva.com.

Thanks, Moe

11/13/10 there ready. Both magellan and Garmin files have been updated.

 

Advertisements

SmokefreelyVa’s everything we web.

Web Resources We Own.

SmokeFreelyVa.com

Main Site: contains confirmed list of Virginia’s smoking restaurants and important information for smokers.

https://smokefreelyva.wordpress.com/

Smoking ban information, news and opinion (my rants). Tracking smoking bans across the world and their local impact.

http://smokefreelyva.yuku.com/

Our Message Board: Join us and get it off your chest. Meaning full conversation to help prevent greater smoking bans in Virginia or to lessen the one we have.

Talk about it here

http://twitter.com/getsmoke Underdeveloped at this Time

SmokefreelVa on Facebook

Our Facebook page. Short banter and sharing info from other great facebook pages.

Web Resources We Administer.

The Following Facebook pages…
Places you can smoke at in Petersburg, Hopewell, and Colonial Heights, VA,
Places you can smoke at in NOVA,
Places you can smoke at in Fredericksburg, VA,
Places you can smoke at in Charlottesville, VA,
Places you can smoke at in Virginia Beach and
Places you can smoke at in Richmond, VA

Thanks to Kulture for creating these pages and  for your faith in Smoke Freely Va. to Administer.

Is GASP.org math challenged?

Here’s one for you. Maybe someone can help me understand it.  In an attempt to make us believe that smoking bans are not harmful to the economy, GASP has reprinted an article. This article states that in a survey of non smokers nearly half avoid smoking restaurants. The thing they didn’t mention is just how many is nearly half.

I decided that it might be nice to take a look at the numbers they are avoiding. About 78% of dinners are non smokers. Let’s give them a break and call it 80%. Now they say nearly half, let’s give them another break and say 50%. That gives us a total of 40% of dinners that feel non smoking is a must have.  This leaves us with 60% that will eat in smoking restaurants.  That is the other non smoking 40% plus the 20% smokers. I have found that many non smokers will use the smoking section of restaurants even when they are not with smokers.  I think most business owners understand the need to target the bigger market.

 There is more to it, however. It’s also a matter of supply and demand. In the state of Virginia there are about 17,000 restaurants. Of these less than 400 offer smoking. As you can see this falls way short of demand. For more business to occur that demand (for smoking restaurants) must start being served. If I was trying to make their case, I’m sure I would have never published this article. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

 I don’t envy them, imagine finding yourself in the position of convincing folks that the suppression of free market forces doesn’t hurt the economy.

 Good luck with that!

Cigar Shop Smoking.

Hey Cigar Smokers!

Another List? Well it seems so. I was contacted by Mike Banks ( known to many of you as Uncle Miky) about the idea of having a listing of smoke friendly tobacco shops. Apparently some of you want to smoke em where you buy em. It’s kinda a Cigar Smokers thing. Anyway, after some thought, I decided why not. So coming the first quarter of next year we will be presenting this new list. Much thanks to Mike for his wonderful idea and even better, agreeing to do all the work.
Tell your cigar smoking friends.